“Words are a form of action, capable of influencing change.”
Julia Cameron, The Artist’s Way.
"It’s no secret that we are big fans of journaling. Those of you who are coming to the bhuti Design Your Life talk on the 7th December will hear how we, who have been writing in our journals for years, talk passionately about the benefits of writing down your thoughts and downloading your brain.
As you start to take full ownership of your life and start designing it the way you want to live it, journaling is the first commitment you need to make to yourself. Your journal will be the best support and a trusted friend. Writing will open your eyes to what is really going on in your life; it will help you to reflect and gain valuable insights. It will help you to create a plan for change.
How to journalJournaling is the first lesson in the Good Life Designed online programme but, we wanted to share some tips to get you started:
1) Find a journal you like. You will have it in your hands every day.
2) To get things underway, start with writing three pages every day for at least two weeks. For the first few days your writing will typically be telling you what you did yesterday. Gradually you will begin to dig to a deeper layer and reflect more consciously.
3) Write in the morning. This is when you are clearest. Make it a routine.
4) Write freely, without self-censorship. What are you thinking, what is going on in your life now?
5) See the diary as a good friend with whom you need to be completely honest. After a while you will begin to see a pattern in what you write. You will notice problems and challenges, and will be able to see where things fit or don’t. It will help you loosen up on things that are blocking you.
Start with these 5 tips but more tools from the book 'Design Your Life' which can be purchased in bhuti's bhutique along with our Happiness Journal.
Keeping a journal can be just as hard as committing to start running, eating healthier and other new habits. Don’t make it too big and demanding before you even have put the pen to the paper.
This is something several life designers have touched when we talk to them. One of them is Amy Rouas, 40+, married, mother, Head of Industry Sales at Google.
“Keeping a journal really centers me. Again, it can be hard to keep up, if you are making the commitment too big. I just write a little every day. Sometimes it’s even less than five minutes. A little goes a long way.”
If you want to read an interview with Amy’s experience designing her life, check out our blog Notes from A Life Designer here.
If you haven’t already, take the first step to create change; keep a journal, one word at a time.
Good Life Designed
Pernille Spiers-Lopez is founder of Good Life Designed, business woman, Global HR Executive and former president of IKEA America. Pernille runs workshops to show you her own toolbox for designing her own life and challenges you to take charge instead of making excuses. In return, she will share how you can become a life designer making conscious choices and real changes. Join Pernille as she shares her tools to create a holistic sense of success for yourself on Thursday 7th December at bhuti. Tickets can be booked here.